Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rabbit, Run

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Run_Rabbit_Run_cover.jpg


Emerging defeated from Tuesday morning, I decided to stop at the library on my way home from work. I knew the book I was going to check out: the John Updike classic of "Rabbit, Run." I remembered reading it in my freshman year of college and I felt like I could really relate to it on this particular day.

The main character of the story, Rabbit, is the twenty-something bored with life, frustrated, and apathetic. I was comforted by our similarities, and quickly decided after 20 pages that Rabbit Angstrom and myself were living in parallel realities. I too was Rabbit.

And then Apologetics homework shook my love for Rabbit not 4 hours after I had checked out the book. Within a chapter on reasoning behind a love for God, the author includes a section on C.S. Lewis' argument of rabbits.

Lewis says:
"We are to be re-made. All the rabbit in us is to disappear - the worried, conscientious, ethical rabbit as well as the cowardly and sensual rabbit. We shall bleed and squeal as the handfuls of fur come out; and then, surprisingly, we shall find underneath it all a thing we have never yet imagined: a real Man, an ageless god, a son of God, strong radiant, wise, beautiful, and drenched in joy."

Rabbits are mutating into men, and I am not Rabbit Angstrom.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, Wow.
    I feel mixed emotions reading this.
    You just got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been a great author to include that quotation. :)

    ReplyDelete